Monday, March 23, 2009

Open Book

People open up more when they think they are alone. That's the true brilliance behind social networks like facebook, myspace, twitter, match.com (not that I have any experience on the latter). Sure they are mad profitable, but the user buy-in comes down to an instinct in us to open up and share ourselves in a sort of private way -- even if we fill out our profiles in private, we still know people will eventually look at them.

Same thing with music. Lyrics can inspire, but often times the writers and musicians of these songs seem reluctant to open up about the deeper meaning behind the words. On the same note, you won't see me belting out tunes in front of any sort of moderately-sized audience (unless of course I'm offered a sizable sum of money and a couple c-grade hookers). We tend to be most in touch with lyrics as well as our own thoughts and sentiments when we don't have others around.

The obvious reason is that we're embarassed to open-up when others are present. I've heard that the number one fear for Americans (not sure about the Aussies, they are f-in crazy) is public speaking. There's another factor, however. When we are around others, things are more complicated. Our mind is consumed with our surroundings and those who fill it, often times lacking the solitude necessary to articulate or act on the truths we define when our mind is in a simpler and more sedate state. If you don't believe me, just move to California and try pot. You'll open up a lot more in front of others.

I argue, however, that you don't need pot.

What you need is a balance of inspiration and perspiration. In other words, you need inspiration -- long-term motivation to reach some goal, as well as perspiration -- a steady dose of hard work.

Good example: listening to Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run" and then moving across the country to be follow your passion of music or acting. Bad example: watching Steven Segal jump a building and then trying this on your own or watching Stevo sniff wasabi and then proclaiming in front of a group of testosterone infused males, "anybody could do that!"

And I believe it is the perspiration part that scares all of us. I remember back in high school when I watched the Prefontaine movie, "Without Limits." I took it pretty literally, being extremely inspired. The next morning I had a cross country race. Pre was a front runner, so I figured why not the Cross-Man. Yeah, come mile 2, Cross was no longer a front runner. Why? Maybe I lacked the talent, but talent is hard to measure. What I could control was my work ethic. My perspiration. And that certainly wasn't at the level to put me in front-runner status.

I've noticed something with certain people: Bob Dylan, Bill Belichick, Harrison Ford, my old high school coach Steve Lyons. These people, all extremely good at what they do or did, are men of few words. If you ask them an intricate question about what they do, often times you get an ironically short and simple answer. Why? Maybe they have a limited vocabulary heavily versed, in "yes" and "no" and "maybe." I tend to think it has to do with the fact that these are perspiration people. People who value the work that's necessary to get a desired result and that therein lies most of the answers to the interviewers' questions. Why go any further?

I'm certainly not pithy like Belichick, nor do I necessary feel it is the best way to go all the time. However, I totally get the sentiment. And I appreciate it. Belichick interview following Super Bowl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7FNsSl80vM

Inspiration can come in varied ways and can happen everyday: through music, sunshine, rainy days, the beach, a comment from a friend in support of something you've put time and effort into. When you match it with perspiration, simple work, you become more of yourself, both in private and in public.

Song: Me and Julio Down By the Schoolyard, Paul Simon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqtX4qZBdRs

No comments:

Post a Comment