Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Back Home

I've been away from the blog for a week now because of a trip back home. I went back to Jacksonville for a wedding of two good friends, both of whom I've known since early elementary school.

It was a fantastic event, held in a beautiful church with many family and friends present.

Weddings are those type of events. Benchmarks in our lives. Not just for those getting married but for those who attend. For me, this was my first wedding ever. I was a groomsman which came with a small amount of responsibility and a large amount of free boos. Honored to be a part of it.

This time around, going back home was a calming experience for me. I think it had to do with the fact I was able to catch up with old friends I hadn't talked to in a while. One of my friends, Dave, was also a groomsman. We hadn't really hung out too often since high school, 6 years ago. Somehow, it was like nothing had changed. In fact, it was probably more fun...we could legally drink this time. The groom, Jason, was in his prime as well. And our closest friend, Natural Light, was a rock through it all.

Going back home was also a calming experience because, for the first time, I noticed a pretty homogenous high school and even college group branching off into individual pathways. Watching people take chances, deciding to settle down with a partner, working in ad sales, making lots of money, all this was happening all around me with my friends and sinking in for the first time. In a much more personal way than facebook could ever attest to.

It was most calming because I was truly starting to feel ownership over the decisions I had made and the acceptance and approbation of the decisions others were. When you grow up in a bubble like I did, things get competitive. Sometimes that can be good, but sometimes it gets unhealthy. Even without acknowledgement of it, there's a vacuum in the air that sucks people into the lives of others. We then play on the level of others, worrying about keeping up with the guy next door on the girl in your same graduating class. I've constantly fought this on my own.

Life decisions, the paths that people choose, have no right or wrong. Life is. And its very interesting to stand back and watch sometimes.

Congratulations Jason and Kristen!

Now, I'm off to protest the G20 Summit in England. My cause? I'm pro recycling condoms.

Best college commerical?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsid-Y13Pf8&feature=related

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVENWl8uBeg

No comments:

Post a Comment