Sunday, April 19, 2009

Traveling


Whenever I check out somebody's online profile, one of the most popular "hobbies" or "interests" I see is traveling. If it is not on your list, suffice it to say, it should. I've done a bit of traveling. Not nearly as much as a lot of people. But it's a priority, and it'll continue to happen.

Eagle Rock in Topanga
(where I ran today)

I'm motivated to write this because I ran a bit further today on a trail I've talked about before: Topanga Canyon in LA. The reason why this canyon trail is so cool to me is because it is geographically

centered between Malibu/Santa Monica and the Pacific Ocean and what's often referred to as "the Valley." Topanga has a personality all its own, though. It's like a small Carolina mountain town. But if you run long enough and high enough you get to enjoy the Pacific and Valley view. It is amazing.

Now, I didn't have to travel too far to see this. At least not today. Last May, when I moved cross country from Florida, I did however. People who know me assume I came here for comedy, but I didn't. I came because there's opportunity I didn't have where I was. Yes, opportunity to strike it big in entertainment. But what's so much more appealing was and still is the opportuntiy I had to meet knew people and see some of the most amazing landscapes in North America and the world.

Next week, I'll be running my first marathon in Big Sur, CA. I chose this race, not for time, but for location. I may not even register for the race, because its expensive and I'm a baller on a budget. I'll probably camp Saturday night or even find a cozy spot to car sleep. Again, not running this for a killer time.

Sometimes finances and time can strap you, but we can still pick our best spots and go for them. Kill two birds with one stone...meet a friend half-way and visit a city you've never seen.

I'm not so self-assured to say that traveling is the ultimate learning experience, but if it is not, it has to be pretty high up on the board. Today on my run, I considered advice I've heard and advice I've given. The greatest words don't match actually experiencing something. Sitting in class is static. Experiencing provides retention and offers a truly unique translation of events that happened. Think back to a time when you visited somewhere cool. Now think back to a time when someone told you about some place you had never been to. Which do you remember better? Which one holds more meaning? Conjures up more vivid feelings?

I have a friend from Australia. An Aussie through and through. This guy is tough. When it comes to work, when it comes to partying. One time, after making a crass sexual remark in which I lol'd to, he went on to make an extremely profound statement. "My goal is to travel every inch of this Earth before I die."

I often repeat that statement in my head randomly. It sticks out. It is a simple, yet bold statement. And I often think, "why is it so bold? It's so simple." Because, the word "travel" has so many levels. A word that can rearrange itself from verb to noun. And instead of explaining what I mean, travel for yourself. Keep doing it.

Gomez, See the World: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKJJRnuCwF4

2 comments:

  1. For me, the biggest benefit of all the travel I have done, is the discovery of the beautiful people who we share this planet with. It has given me the gift of knowing that we are all the same in our desires, dreams, families, fears, etc. The world is full of many beautiful things, but the people who inhabit it are its greatest asset. We just have to meet each other so we can all understand that.

    Thank you for your great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have given you a FREE entry into the Big Sur marathon had you just told me a joke. We'll NEVER forget the five minutes of laughs we had with you. But why weren't YOU telling the jokes? You made a memory for us.
    PS. we'll bring a group down to your stand up. Just tell us where and when.
    Shirley
    race day registration ;0)

    ReplyDelete