Saturday, April 11, 2009

No Need To Beat Around The Bush

No, the headline wasn't intended to be a dirty joke for once. Although, sexual innuendos are usually peppered throughout my prose.

The best part to come out of the economic crisis is watching people self-actualize. Screw comfort...take risk. Screw cudgels...be straight up.

I'm a big fan of those people who wear shirts that say, "Hire Me." I hate to admit it, but in some ways, that person deserves a job over me. It takes some balls I suppose to wear that, and at least based on that, he or she wants it more.

I have this problem. I'm apprehensive a lot of times. I like to handle things and deal with people in a nice way. I also don't like to be sure of myself. Because I'm worried that by being so sure of myself, I close off questioning. And questioning can be very valuable.

So there's got to be a middle ground I think. Or at least, times to be sure and times to question. Oh, a time...

Maybe the best answer or at least the most logical one lies in the depths of honesty. How do I feel? And why do I feel it? If I can interpret and understand this, maybe I can make the wisest decision.

The other part to it is balls. And maybe this isn't as rational. Guts. Fortitude. Whatever. It's the ability to not give in to impending embarrassment.

Last week, I did a comedy show where the comedian before went up and trashed a bunch of the other comedians for not listening to each other's set. They stood outside and chatted it up. They left after their own set. This comedian also made sure to have the emcee announce that he was performing at the Improv the following Thursday, as if the 8 people left in the room (including myself) really cared.

Now, did the comedian have a point? Maybe. But why trash everybody in an open mic night that has 25 comedians on the bill in a room that is only comedians. Many had heard each other's sets. Also, no one gets paid for these open mics. People have to pay rent. Point or no point, this guy was harsh.

So, what did I do? Maybe not making the most conscious decision, but not being scared to fight back a little, the first thing I said was, "that guy was kind of a dick." Now, that may have not been the best decision for me. I made a small room feel a little more awkward. I also probably made enemies with this guy. But guess what? The guy was being a dick. It wasn't pretty. But I said my peace. Better than holding back. Next time, I'll be more articulate maybe. I'll address it in a different way. But at least I didn't beat around the bush.

No comments:

Post a Comment