Sunday, April 5, 2009

Just Dick Jokes

Doctors save lives. Judges make decisions that effect whether people spend their lives behind bars or not. Soldiers go to war.

And yet, the #1 major fear in this country is public speaking. All those other jobs I just listed involve life or death decision-making. What is the risk in public speaking? Embarrassment?

I've been doing stand-up now for about 4 years. Since I started, people always say, "Wow! That's awesome. I couldn't ever do anything like that. I'd be too scared." In a certain respect, I feel proud. Maybe its a compliment I think to myself. But for the same reason I have the "courage" to get up in front of people is the same reason I can almost disregard that comment completely. Moreover, I feel bad sometimes for the person making the comment. Why? Because I'm a complete dick. Ok, maybe not completely.

I feel bad because a) I understand people have talents and b) can only be good at so many things but c) feel that the reason why people say they can't do anything is because they're insecure. It bothers me that people say this. If somebody had a gun to your head to do it you would. Its not about comedy. Its not about public speaking. Its about the idea of an individual holding back on something that rationally makes sense because their ego is so goddamn fragile.

When it comes to public speaking, as a tip you often hear, "picture the audience in their underwear." Or if you're constantly horny, "picture the audience naked." I'm the latter. But in the words of Apple CEO Steve Jobs, we're already naked.

Again, it goes back to not being scared to fail. The point is that we already have nothing to lose. We're all going to die. Some of us sudden and without warning. Not trying to be dramatic, but its true.

So Man or Woman Up. I'm committing to 4 days per week of performance. Because for all my words, I still fight that fear of failure even after performing for 4 years. But I need to get over myself. So I am.

OK Go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv5zWaTEVkI (awesome video)

ps- I'm trying to spice up the blog w/ some pictures. Why not throw Clay in there? And no, that's me when my hair gets long.

No comments:

Post a Comment